What are the dangers of fluorescent lights?

 

Fluorescent lighting depends on a chemical reaction inside of a glass tube to create light. This chemical reaction involves gases and mercury vapour interacting, which produces an invisible UV light. That invisible UV light illuminates the phosphor powder coating on the inside of the glass tube, emitting white “fluorescent” light.

 

While doctors have found no proof that fluorescents cause migraines, there is some evidence that they may exacerbate the problem for those who already suffer from occasional migraines or who are prone to get headaches. The reason is that the electric current that reacts with the mercury vapour is not constant but instead pulses on and off very quickly. This flicker, whether you perceive it or not, has been linked to increased migraines and even seizures in some people.

 

A 2011 study estimated that some fluorescent lights emit UV radiation outside of the safe range for eyes and may increase UV-related eye diseases by 12 per cent, and cause cataracts and pterygia. Hairline cracks in the phosphor coating that lines the inside of the tubes allow UV radiation to leak out, and the more damaged the bulb, the greater the chance for radiation damage to the body.

 

Breaking a fluorescent light means mercury vapours escape. Mercury is a neurotoxin that can linger for up to four hours after the glass is swept up.

Most offices have fluorescent lights and I am sure many patients will be affected by fluorescent lights. Check out the Radiation Testing Kit. This Kinesiology Test Kit includes fluorescent light. The Heavy Metal Testing Kit includes Mercury.

What are the dangers of fluorescent lights?
X